Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Black Terror

Some time last year I found out that a whole collection of comic book characters has ended up in the public domain.  A few companies went bankrupt and never filed for copyrights when we still had to do this and therefore their property lapsed into the public domain.  One such company was Nedor.  Most if not all of these characters are from the Golden Age of comics and are therefore a little naive in their origins and/or powers.  The strongest character I felt was Black Terror and we decided to use him (with major twists) for our series.

For years I have been trying to do a superhero comic.  For a while, I even optioned Mark Shainblum's excellent Northguard property - but I kept hitting snags along the way - Canadian producers just don't seem to get it and/or are afraid the institutions won't back such a project, something in which they are most likely right.

Another project I was involved with, The Hunter, another superhero project that involved intricate wire gags created by Jeff Pruitt ended up going nowhere and after years of frustrations, we decided to do it for the web.

I took my ideas for the Hunter and integrated them with the origins and concepts of Black Terror, plus we added a hint of a horror twist to it and the character was born.

Here's Félix Laflamme amazing rendition of the character:

No comments:

Post a Comment